Job Title: A/V Manager
Location: Paradise Theatre Entertainment Corp., Toronto
Term: Contract Position (Length TBD, minimum of 6 months with ability to extend)
Salary: TBD, dependent on experience
Application Deadline: August 22, 2019
Hire Date: September 20, 2019
Ideal Start Date: September 30, 2019
Expected Opening Date: TBD
A 1937 heritage-designated Art Deco venue in Toronto's Bloorcourt neighbourhood, Paradise reopens in 2019 following a highly anticipated renovation. Paradise offers a unique, welcoming experience through food, drink and the arts. The complex includes: Paradise Theatre, a state-of-the-art venue presenting a curated mix of newly released films, older classics and undiscovered gems, as well as live music, talk series and multi-arts events; Osteria Rialto, a full-service restaurant offering up fresh, seasonal ingredients in dishes that innovate on classic Italian cuisine; and Bar Biltmore, where spritzes, sours and negronis are enjoyed alongside small bites.
The building on this site has operated as a cinema since 1910, and we are proud to continue its century-long tradition of bringing Torontonians together.
Paradise Theatre is a flexible space, which can accommodate a wide variety of programming. As a soft seated venue, the full capacity is 208; however, the flexible design allows for various seating and standing configurations with a maximum capacity of 312. The theatre boasts a fully integratable d&b live sound system and a state-of-the-art digital cinema system, inclusive of a Barco 4k projector and QSC cinema surround sound. Paradise Theatre also offers two fully retractable screens (a larger cinema screen and a smaller lecture screens) and four lighting rigs (one automated, three stationary).
Paradise is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Paradise is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
The role of A/V Manager will be a vital pre- and post-opening contract position at Paradise Theatre. Reporting to and working with the Paradise Theatre General Manager, the A/V Manager will develop and plan the appropriate technical processes and procedures when it comes to realizing the wide range of Paradise Theatre’s high-quality programs. The A/V Manager will also be responsible for hiring, training and scheduling an in-house team of qualified A/V Technicians.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following)
- Provide technical support for a variety of events, including digital film screenings, live music and comedy, lectures, on-stage conversations and interactive events, and any other events which Paradise may present
- Training will be provided by the installer for the cinema and live performance audio/visual system
- Develop, document and implement working policies and procedures for all technical aspects of the Paradise Theatre including, but not limited to:
- Load ins/outs
- Technical rehearsals
- Digital print traffic
- Equipment rentals
- Set-up, staging and tear-down
- Assistive devices
- Assist the General Manager in the hiring, training and on-boarding of A/V Technicians
- In coordination with the Paradise Theatre GM, create and develop the training manuals and sessions required for technical team
- Operate and manage all digital cinema equipment and content, including DCPs, Blu-rays, plus key-encoded and other files from a computer/laptop
- Set-up and management of Skype and other live video streaming for live events
- Liaise with clients and talent to ensure successful delivery of their content and events
- Work with front of house and management teams to ensure all activities operate effectively
- Develop a knowledge of and document how equipment connects in order to successfully troubleshoot any issues
- Troubleshooting issues in a timely, effective and non-disruptive manner to ensure the continued delivery of Paradise content and events, keeping management informed of issues at all times
- Maintain a regular maintenance schedule to ensure all equipment is cared for to the highest standard, including (but not limited to) changing projector lamps, testing and changing lighting rigs and sound equipment, etc.
- Maintain any in-venue digital displays and music systems
- Handle all deliveries of A/V and projection equipment and content to Paradise Theatre
- Maintain all A/V and projection workspaces and storage areas in an organised, clean and safe fashion
- Ingest and download digital cinema content
- Manage and provide an appropriate atmosphere in the auditorium before events through music and lighting
- Working closely with the Paradise Theatre GM, Programming and Communications to schedule, assemble as needed and project appropriate on-screen pre-show packages
- Maintain a knowledge of Paradise’s programme and events, keeping up-to-date through operational briefings and planning meetings
- A minimum of 3+ years as an A/V Manager OR 5+ years as an A/V Technician, ideally within a multi-arts venue and/or working on a variety of live events
- This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work and requires a full-time commitment
- Advanced technical knowledge of digital projection, lighting, sound & Crestron systems
- Proven experience managing and leading a team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including strong written and verbal communication skills
- Solutions and detail-oriented individual with a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to conduct one’s self calmly and effectively under pressure
- Computer literacy and comfortable operating PCs
- Proficient in Google Apps, Skype, Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Driver’s license preferred
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to the Paradise Hiring Committee at email@example.com