Job Title: Concierge
Location: Paradise, 1006 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON
Concept: Osteria Rialto, Bar Biltmore
Salary: $15.00/hr, plus gratuities
Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 24, 2020
A 1937 heritage-designated Art Deco venue in Toronto's Bloorcourt neighborhood, Paradise reopened in 2019 following a highly anticipated renovation.
Paradise offers a unique, welcoming experience through food, drink and the arts. The complex includes: Paradise Theatre, a state-of-the-art venue presenting a curated mix of newly released films, older classics and undiscovered gems, as well as live music, talk series and multi-arts events; Osteria Rialto, a full-service restaurant offering up fresh, seasonal ingredients in dishes that innovate on classic Italian cuisine; and Bar Biltmore, where spritzes, sours and negronis are enjoyed alongside small bites.
Osteria Rialto is a full-service Italian restaurant which originally opened in January 2020, only to close in March due to COVID-19. Rialto is currently serving take-out and delivery, and re-opening its patio imminently. Led by executive chef Basilio Pesce, chef de cuisine Ryan Baddeley and executive pastry chef Jill Barber, Rialto was listed as #7 on Toronto Life’s Best New Restaurants 2020 list.
Paradise takes its responsibility as an employer in the diverse neighbourhood of Bloorcourt seriously, and is committed to equal opportunity. Paradise is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
The Paradise service team works to provide the highest quality of hospitality to all of our guests dining within Osteria Rialto. The service team works alongside the management team.
Responsible for providing exceptional levels of hospitality to all guests, suppliers and strategic partners of Paradise, we're looking for a passionate, knowledgeable and skilled service team, with outgoing and friendly personalities to help bring the vibrant and exciting atmosphere of the century-old landmark to life.
Paradise’s commitment to equity
Paradise is committed to upholding the highest of standards in relation to internal equity, inclusion, diversity and anti-racism. Paradise offers the opportunity to all current staff members to assist in the recruitment practices used within the operation. This includes and certainly is not limited to: sharing job opportunities, challenging recruitment standards and inclusion in interviews. Paradise will take steps necessary to ensure that our vision and values are upheld internally. We understand that Diversity and Inclusion are not simply buzzwords, and need to be understood and taken seriously within the business.
Paradise strives to be inclusive in all hiring practices, training and professional development provisions. We understand that true inclusion removes all barriers, discrimination and intolerance. When applied properly in the workplace, it is natural for everyone to feel included and supported.
What you can expect from us.
- A minimum of 30-35 hours of work per week
- Flexibility of hours of work when requested
- A safe, fair and inclusive working environment
- An ongoing commitment to training, growth, development, and support.
- The opportunity to be immersed in a community that cares for its neighbourhood
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following)
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of Osteria Rialto, both food and beverage, to ensure a high standard of service for guests
- Assist in the delivery of core hospitality to the utmost output potential.
- Uphold standards of service during high-volume moments
- Maintain and assist in facilitating an excellent guest experience
- Identify and accommodate special guest requests
- Plan the reservation book and guest seating for service
- Print and maintain up-to-date menus
- Recognize and welcome guests
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the service team
- Control the pacing of seating and manage service team accordingly
- Uphold Paradise health and safety protocol in accordance to internal policies, as well as recommended personal hygiene practices outlined by the Ontario health ministry, Health Canada and WHO.
- Paradise strives to provide a safe space and working environment
- The work environment can be loud and busy
- There are many restaurant hazards such as hot surfaces, liquids, sharp knives and slippery floors
- This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work
- An interest in all cuisines and current dining trends
- Knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability and desire to work with mentors
- Ability to manage self calmly and effectively under pressure
- Solutions and detail-oriented individual with a high degree of professionalism
- Management of space and time is essential
- High energy, personable, and team-oriented collaborator
- Seeks new demanding challenges
- Passionate about food, wine and spirits.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to the Paradise Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, June 24, with the subject line: Job application: Osteria Rialto Concierge