Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Paradise Theatre Entertainment Corp., Toronto
Salary: $44,000-$56,000, dependent on experience
Application Deadline: July 10, 2020
Ideal Start Date: August 1, 2020
A 1937 heritage-designated Art Deco venue in Toronto's Bloorcourt neighborhood, Paradise reopened in 2019 following a highly anticipated renovation.
Paradise offers a unique, welcoming experience through food, drink and the arts. The complex includes: Paradise Theatre, a state-of-the-art venue presenting a curated mix of newly released films, older classics and undiscovered gems, as well as live music, talk series and multi-arts events; Osteria Rialto, a full-service restaurant offering up fresh, seasonal ingredients in dishes that innovate on classic Italian cuisine; and Bar Biltmore, where spritzes, sours and negronis are enjoyed alongside small bites.
Osteria Rialto is a full-service Italian restaurant which originally opened in January 2020, only to close in March due to COVID-19. Rialto is currently serving take-out and delivery, and re-opening its patio imminently. Led by executive chef Basilio Pesce, chef de cuisine Ryan Baddeley and executive pastry chef Jill Barber, Rialto was listed as #7 on Toronto Life’s Best New Restaurants 2020 list.
Paradise takes its responsibility as an employer in the diverse neighbourhood of Bloorcourt seriously, and is committed to equal opportunity. Paradise is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
If you’re excited about the future of hospitality, love creating memorable experiences, and want to be a core member of a growing team — the Operations Manager (OM) position is for you!
Paradise is hiring an OM to work alongside the General Manager. The OM is responsible for assisting in overseeing the day-to-day operations of Osteria Rialto, and Bar Biltmore when it re-opens. The OM will receive daily/weekly/monthly tasks that will assist in development of FOH culture, hospitality, training and development of staff, diversity and inclusion activities, and quality of product. In addition, the OM will develop and maintain a safe, welcoming and professional environment for staff and guests alike. Working closely with Paradise management, the OM will provide leadership, direction, and best-in-class hospitality.
The OM is an integral piece of the Paradise management team, therefore, the OM must exemplify and exude a professional and courteous demeanor to all guests, staff, management and trade partners. With this in mind, the OM will be present for all recognition cases, as well as disciplinary actions towards staff. The OM will work with the General Manager to ensure all disciplinary cases are recorded and acted on upon investigation of the stated issue.
Paradise’s commitment to equity
Paradise is committed to upholding the highest of standards in relation to internal equity, inclusion, diversity and anti-racism. Paradise offers the opportunity to all current staff members to assist in the recruitment practices used within the operation. This includes and certainly is not limited to: sharing job opportunities, challenging recruitment standards and inclusion in interviews. Paradise will take steps necessary to ensure that our vision and values are upheld internally. We understand that Diversity and Inclusion are not simply buzzwords, and need to be understood and taken seriously within the business.
Paradise strives to be inclusive in all hiring practices, training and professional development provisions. We understand that true inclusion removes all barriers, discrimination and intolerance. When applied properly in the workplace, it is natural for everyone to feel included and supported.
What you can expect from us
- Fair working hours, and allotted administrative time.
- A competitive salary
- A health and benefits package
- Employment allowances designated by the Director of Operations
- Flexibility of hours of work when requested
- A safe, fair and inclusive working environment
- An ongoing commitment to training, growth, development, and support.
- The opportunity to be immersed in a community that cares for its neighbourhood
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following)
Uphold Vision, Values, and Policies
- Continually provide exceptional hospitality to all guests, staff, and partners in trade.
- Offer thoughtful, humble and engaging service while actively contributing to Paradise’s day-to-day operations.
- Trust – Continually offer a comfortable workplace for colleagues, and take tremendous pride in Paradise’s food, beverage, programming and hospitality provided.
- Inspire – Strive to inspire and educate hospitality professionals by using genuine and continuous growth-driven learning techniques.
- Progress – Discover impactful opportunities for self-expression and initiatives within hospitality.
- Welcome – Practice radical empathy and care while rewarding, recognizing, and saturating yourself in the love for people, food, wine, and film.
- Delight – Commit to unexpected delight. Go out of your way to create memorable and everlasting positive experiences.
Guest Commitment, Relations, and Records
- Provide kind and genuine hospitality to all guests entering and leaving the concepts.
- Constantly search for ways to increase the status-quo of hospitality to each and every guest.
- Note and act on special occasions to create unique and lasting memories.
- Develop personal relationships with regular guests.
- Offering your business card for further communication and additional personal services moving forward.
- Offer to give personal guided tours of the site to regular guests who are intrigued by the concept
- Documents, investigates and resolves employee and guest incidents.
Leadership Initiatives + Communication
- Demonstrate unbiased leadership to FOH service staff to continually keep morale high before, throughout and after services.
- Work with the Paradise Management Team to create innovative space initiatives to develop hospitality leaders
- Create consistent, unbroken communication between the service, kitchen and bar teams.
- Speak with intellect, direction and professionalism to all guests and colleagues.
- Alongside the GM, create and execute inspirational team-based leadership initiatives that assist in the growth of staff and colleagues alike.
- Effectively develop your personal skill set to run both FOH and HOH operations seamlessly day-by-day.
Staff Recognition, Training and Development
- Commit to recognizing colleagues on victories, whether they are service-related or personal.
- Reward staff on hitting selected KPI’s, while providing constructive guidance to those who did not make the quota.
- Take note of all service opportunities and work with Paradise Management to develop actionable initiatives to develop both business and team.
- Actively seek new, innovative and rewarding ways to enhance training measures within the business.
- Actively participate in all staff meetings and outings
- Assists in the development and action of performance reviews for all staff, in the accompaniment of the GM.
- Creates value-based knowledge-driven training exercises for implementation within the business.
- Continually challenge staff using food testing, wine tastings, food/wine supplier visits to enhance staff experience and inherently positively affect hospitality provided.
- Promote a culture filled with dialogue, and continue to role-model the visions and values of Paradise.
- Recruit, interview, and hire team members using a ‘diversity and inclusion first’ approach. Decisions are to be unbiased and structured.
- Conduct performance appraisals, take disciplinary action, motivate and train.
- Provides in-the-moment coaching and feedback to team members, actively facilitating their growth
Management of Restaurant and Bar Facilities
- Oversee operations of selected outlets as directed by the GM.
- Be a champion of hospitality, food quality and consistency, and team growth.
- Consistently strive to find actively innovative ways to enhance guest experiences at each seat.
- Positively direct staff, where needed, and ensure there is a level accountability on the floor at all times.
- Stay active on the floor by touching the table, interacting with guests, celebrating with staff when due.
- Work directly with our Concierge team to develop a professional and courteous front door team that strives for supreme communication.
- Monitors adherence to health, safety and hygiene standards within location, ensure compliance with restaurant security procedures, inclusive of alcohol regulations, ensure a safe working environment by facilitating safe work behaviors of the team and guests, maintains safe, secure, and healthy facility environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures; complying with health and legal regulations; maintaining security systems.
- Uphold Paradise health and safety protocol in accordance with internal policies, as well as recommended personal hygiene practices outlined by the Ontario health ministry, Health Canada and WHO.
Reservation and POS systems championship
- Have advanced knowledge of our reservations system to ensure accurate updates of guest’s profiles and service flow tracking.
- Demonstrate management of reservations systems, when needed, throughout service (status updates, coursing, communication of VIP’s and special occasions).
- Accountable for key financials (Sales, EBITDA, COGS, Inventory valuations, Labour output, and variable cost management) – in partnership with the management team.
- Accountable for KPI’s (Guest experience, guest engagement, staff engagement, staff turnover) – in partnership with the management team.
- Determine and implement valuable and progressive operating improvements.
- Add valuable, growth-driven and trackable notes within nightly closing documents.
- Joining Paradise management for weekly meetings in which there are discussions regarding growth opportunities, the current state of affairs, upcoming initiatives.
- Assist GM in the creation of the bi-weekly staff schedule. Submitted to staff well in advance of the scheduled shift date.
- Participate in an educated dialogue between the FOH and HOH management teams regarding profit/loss, revenue management, labor control, marketing initiatives and staff engagement.
- Assist GM with inventory analysis and stock take using systems set forth by Paradise. This will include but is not limited to Wine, Beer, Liquor/Spirits, Small wares, and Dry Goods.
- Paradise strives to provide a safe space and working environment
- The work environment can be loud and busy
- There are many restaurant hazards such as hot surfaces, liquids, sharp knives and slippery floors
- This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work
- 3+ years of service experience in dining venues with a hospitality focus
- 1+ years of management experience in dining venues with a hospitality focus is recommended.
- An interest in world cuisine and current dining trends
- Knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability and desire to work with mentors
- Ability to manage self calmly and effectively under pressure
- Solutions and detail-oriented individual with a high degree of professionalism
- Management of space and time is essential
- High energy, personable, and team-oriented collaborator
- Seeks new demanding challenges
- Passionate about food, wine and spirits.
How to Apply
Please email your resume to the Paradise Hiring Committee at email@example.com by July 15, 2020, with the subject line: Job application: Osteria Rialto Operations Manager