Pay It Forward with Virtual Paradise Theatre
- Support Paradise by streaming films through Virtual Paradise Theatre
- For every ticket (via online streaming) purchase, Paradise will donate two tickets to front-line workers when the theatre re-opens
Support front-line workers with a ticket purchase on Virtual Paradise Theatre. For every ticket sold (via online streaming), Paradise will donate two tickets to front-line workers for use when the theatre has re-opened.
“When the necessity of social distancing comes to a close, Paradise will have what we’ve been missing: the opportunity to enjoy the company of others, delighting in a shared experience, outside of work. And who deserves that more than the people on the front lines of today's crisis? We’re excited to give back to those working so hard to protect Torontonians by treating them to a great night out,” says Sonya William, Director of Communications at Paradise.
Inspired by Jam Jar Cinema’s Local Heroes campaign, this is an opportunity to "pay it forward" with Virtual Paradise Theatre.
Paradise Theatre is a gorgeous, recently-renovated Art Deco theatre in the heart of Toronto's west end. The theatre serves delicious cocktails and fresh popcorn, and is wheelchair accessible and sight accessible (more accessibility information here).
In the news
- "How to take frontline workers to the movies after COVID-19." NOW article
- "It seems like everyone is doing their part to support healthcare workers during the pandemic, and the city's newest theatre is no different." BlogTO article
- "Paradise Theatre on Bloor is streaming new releases from their website. For every "ticket" you buy to watch a film, two tickets will be donated to front-line workers once the theatre re-opens." Metro Morning segment
- "Toronto’s Paradise Theatre to Donate Movie Tickets to Frontline Workers" BoxOfficePro article
- "When a ticket is purchased for the virtual theatre, two tickets will be donated to front-line workers when the theatre reopens to the public." Post City
About Virtual Paradise Theatre
Boutique film distributors are teaming up with independent cinemas across North America to bring the theatrical experience home, and Paradise is participating with Virtual Paradise Theatre.
By streaming the films through Paradise’s affiliate links, audiences are supporting the distributors’ efforts to bring exciting new favourites to the public, and supporting Paradise! Paradise receives a portion of all ticket proceeds.
How ticket donations work
When Paradise is ready to re-open, they will email ticket vouchers to The Stop, Sistering, and a health- or medical-related organization that can distribute the vouchers to front-line workers and volunteers. The total number of vouchers will be twice the number of tickets sold through Virtual Paradise Theatre.
About the recipients
Paradise has decided to support three major avenues of care: food security, shelter, and health. There is of course significant crossover between the groups, because food access is critical to shelter, shelter is critical to health, and so on.
In addition, Paradise finds it very important to support local. Cinemas are inherently local, as brick-and-mortar buildings, and fostering community is hugely important.
The Stop Community Food Centre: Feeding Toronto's food insecure population during this precarious time. The Stop has reported serving 30% more meals and almost 75% more food bank hampers than their usual numbers.
Sistering: The local women's 24-hour drop-in centre has temporarily moved to a location with space for social distancing and continues to offer harm reduction, medical services and food access.
We're welcoming a combination of "nominate a healthcare worker" and distributing tickets through CAMH: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health to support workers in health and medicine. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if there are healthcare workers in your life that you'd like to thank with free tickets to Paradise.
Gift cards are also available
For those whose interest isn’t piqued by any Virtual Paradise Theatre screenings, Paradise also has e-gift cards available. They can be emailed to anyone, and make an excellent gift. https://paradiseonbloor.com/gift-cards